Friday, October 24, 2008

Medical Deficiencies

I'm back on the road again, after taking three sick days at the beginning of a tour. I do not like being sick. 1. Only have a limited number of sick days (what if I really get sick?) 2. I don't like admitting I'm sick ("I'll be fine, really!"). Ultimately, the FAA says that I have a responsibility NOT to go to work if I have a medical deficiency:


Am I prohibited from exercising the privileges of my pilot certificate during medical deficiency?
Yes. You are prohibited from acting as pilot-in-command or as a required pilot flight crewmember during any medical deficiency that would be disqualifying or may interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft.
A simple problem such as a cold, a broken arm, or an abscessed tooth may require nothing more than the appropriate treatment and a little time before you can safely return to the skies. A more complicated problem or the development or change of a chronic illness may necessitate consultation with an AME or the FAA before resuming flying. New medical conditions do not need to be reported to the FAA until you wish to return to flying.
The actual regulation that I must abide by:
e-CFR Data is current as of October 22, 2008
Title 14: Aeronautics and Space PART 61—CERTIFICATION: PILOTS, FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS, AND GROUND INSTRUCTORS Subpart A—General
§ 61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical deficiency.
(a) Operations that require a medical certificate. Except as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, a person who holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person:
(1) Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation; or
(2) Is taking medication or receiving other treatment for a medical condition that results in the person being unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation.
So, an extra three days at home. Just wish I could have enjoyed them...

No comments:

Post a Comment