Sunday, March 15, 2009

Co-pilot Egg is an Honorary Girl With Wings

Not too long ago I published a blog entry about Dads, and how they can encourage their daughters with flying. I received a response from Co-pilot Egg (that's her call-sign), the daughter of a friend of mine. I loved her insight so much that I built for her a page on Girls With Wings, from the information that she sent me and some pictures that her dad has taken.

Here are her Tips and Tricks for getting YOUR daughters to fly with you:

1) Start early! My dad still has pictures of me as a baby in the plane. This way, I got used to it, and it was a main part of my life growing up. All my dad had to do was say, "want to go for a plane ride?" and I was excited, never scared.

2) Plan fun trips. A zoo or play ground for little kids, or a mall trip for the ever difficult teenagers. It makes it more exciting, and more willing to wake up early on a Saturday.

3) Teach. When I was little, but still old enough to learn, my dad printed me a vocab sheet with the basic parts of a plane. I learned what they were, and he showed me on the plane. I was then allowed to play around to see what each thing did (while the plane was off, of course). This made it fun for me AND educational.

4) Let them fly a little. I was also taught how to read the instruments (I was too little to see over the top) and was able to fly for little periods of time. Gradually, my dad loosened his grip on the other side, and I could fly all by myself, in a straight enough path. I was involved, so it held my attention and was a fun thing to do.

See Egg's page.

No comments:

Post a Comment