Saturday, June 23, 2012

Natalie's Second Scholarship Essay


The Girls With Wings Scholarship Program provides funds for flight training to selected individuals with a willingness to be superlative GWW role models. Winners show potential to continue her interaction with the GWW organization, via the website and events, so she can assist GWW in encouraging more young girls to have an interest in aviation. Part of the obligation for being awarded the scholarship is to submit at least one picture and an associated journal entry once a month for three months to the Girls With Wings blog to share with others her training, as well as email a final essay summarizing how the scholarship helped her, what she learned and her intent to continue her work as a role model and volunteer for the Girls With Wings, Inc., organization.

Stay tuned for more essays from our other scholarship winner AND DON'T FORGET we have a Summer Scholarship Program, too. Applications will be accepted until June 30th.

Every night, I pray for a beautiful VFR (Visual Flight Rules) day. I hop into my Jeep, trying not to speed to the airport with intense excitement. Hangar 19, Sierra waits to be pulled out into the glorious sunshine, my beautiful 172. In any great course, my CFI and I go over the daily accomplishments from the Practical Test Standards (PTS), discuss a flight plan focused on PTS standards, and praises to what was achieved from the following day. My 172 is tugged from her sleepy Hangar ready for her preflight and head out to the taxiway for departure on Runway 14 or 32.


Today, I woke to a usual Ohio area forecast. As soon as I arrived at the airport, I called WXBriefer hoping and praying that the rain would hold off until my lesson was completed then I wouldn’t care if it poured buckets. I was happy to hear no airmets, only a high pressure system, thank goodness no Temporary Flight Restrictions, or TFRs. My flight goals were to fly a heading, track to a VOR, full flap landings and radio clearance into Class Delta airspace. Now, the standard briefing:  KPIT was winds at 110 at 3knots, 10 statue mile visibility. KHLG had a different wind direction at 150 at 3knots, 6 statue mile visibility. The Altimeter was 30.08. Hooray, this was looking good.


Ground School, my CFI and I discussed the flight goals, simulated the flight path in a discussion for me to have visual. This is great to grasp the competencies that need accomplished for the PTS standards. I find that Q&A is helpful since I cross reference my answers to the FARS, AIM, ASA and Gleim textbooks. Utilizing and setting up Ground School as a college course has been successful for me.


Taking off from Runway 14, I flew north to the usual spot practicing turns around a point, S-Turns, Emergency landings, then back to the airport. Turn around a point maneuver, watching where the wind was coming from, adjusting my trim to lock in airspeed, power for altitude, monitoring the RPM. Finally, looking out, making sure the tip of the wing was on my reference point selected by my CFI. I had to observe all this while maintaining good airmanship.  Once, this was accomplished, I was directed to S-Turns maneuver, again upholding my airspeed, altitude and RPM. This maneuver is one of my favorites, I just use the directional compass with the heading bug to complete my 90 degree turns. As I cross the road, my CFI pulls the throttle. He states, "you lost the engine." Immediately, you have to set up Best Rate of Glide which is 70knots in the Cessna 172SP. Then, you should always be looking for a landing site in case of an emergency off airport landing. As soon as, I set up glide, point my LZ, CFI pushed the throttle and pack to pull power. Another emergency landing at the airport being two miles out at 3,000 feet. My CFI pulled the throttle and I immediately set up for Best Rate of Glide. I realized in my practices that you cannot rush, 70knots truly is the best. Practicing these maneuvers has a greater purpose to making a pilot better in various situations from good to bad.


Heading to KHLG, I tracked a heading to the Bellaire VOR, intercepted it and turned while calling Wheeling. I was given clearance. It was for a Runway 21, left pattern. Being able to talk to ATC was great practice especially since it was a woman Air Traffic Controller. After a few landings, we departed to the Northwest for home watching a C130 based out of Pittsburgh flying towards Wheeling at a different altitude was still unique to see.


The end of the Flight Lesson finished with a full flap landings to wrap up the day. It was two hours added to my log book. My CFI and I sat down to discuss the final game plan. The end is near, I still need to study for the FAA Oral portion, I need to finish taking my practice PTS standards and prepare the cross country portion. I believe that dreams do come true, especially when you do not stop trying. Gotta Go Fly...

Written by: Natalie Campana
Photos by: Cloud 9 Aviation

No comments:

Post a Comment