Friday, October 18, 2013

Diana's Second Post as a Girls With Wings Dreams Take Flight Scholarship Winner!

Diana's Second Post as the Girls With Wings Dreams Take Flight Scholarship Winner! Diana's lessons have been funded in part by the generous donations that people have made to Girls With Wings. The Dreams Take Flight Dreams Take Flight Scholarship is designed to introduce the world of aviation to someone who would benefit from experiencing the joy of flight. The award of this scholarship is intended to fund introductory flight training to encourage achievement of a stated goal, whether in aviation or in another field of study. There is no prerequisite flight training required for this scholarship, just enthusiasm and the desire to learn. The Dreams Take Flight Scholarship is an award in the amount of $500.00. Read more about our scholarship program.

Diana LeSueur
Journal Entry October 2013


My last journal entry mentioned that I was preparing for my XC solo. It was a great success and I thoroughly enjoyed it! At one of the airports I was landing at, there were skydivers descending near the runway as I was on base and final. Oh how I wish I could have taken pictures. It was a great view!

I am now preparing for my check ride. This has been going slow because of lack of time and funds at the time being. School has been quite busy and the money has been very tight. And last week I was distracted by another aviation adventure!

I have been reflecting back on the past nine months since SEEC (Space Exploration Educator Conference where I met Judy Rice and a few other people that have made a difference in my life recently) and am in awe at all of the incredible experiences and opportunities that I have had!! It has truly been amazing! I need to be tethered down so I do not float away!!!

Not only am I working on my private pilot certificate, but I have been able to have some other aviation opportunities that have made me think I should pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming!!

I just had a most incredible week!! I got to help Ed Newberg, a friend from the CAF, fly his Red Baron Stearman from the CAF in Mesa, AZ to Hector, MN with a stop at some friends last Monday night in Lamar, CO. I did most of the flying and one take off! While I was there, Ed flew me in his Timm N2T-1 and he gave me 2 flight lessons in the R-44 Raven! His house is right on the Hector Municipal airport. He is the manager. He also gave me a ride in his 1928 Chevrolet, 1929 Ford Model A and a British Taxi!!

Waking up at Dawn, looking out my bedroom window at the lights on the runway, I thought I had died and gone to Heaven!! It was so gorgeous!! I asked him if he would adopt me!! I flew buddy pass from MN to Midland TX to help with our Airbase crew at the CAF airshow. We had both our B- 17 and B-25 there. That was a wonderful experience as well! They let me fly home on the B-17. AND I got to actually fly (left seat) the Sentimental Journey... 30 minutes!! I can log that in my logbook!! There’s even more to look forward to because Ed said when he gets back to Arizona, he will take me out in the Yak and possibly the T28. YES!! I can’t wait.

I am still on cloud 9 and wanted to share my excitement!! Oh yes, a couple days before our flight to MN, I did go up in the Stearman to get my aerobatic fix!! That was sooo fun, I could do that every day!! I am so glad I do not get airsick at all.

What a marvelous adventure you've been having, Diana! That is the greatest thing about aviation - the people who have a passion for it. Keep feeding your passion and keep us posted. Best to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment