Friday, October 18, 2013

Yeni's Second Post as a Girls With Wings Dreams Take Flight Scholarship Winner!

Yeni's Second Post as the Girls With Wings Dreams Take Flight Scholarship Winner! Yeni's lessons have been funded in part by the generous donations that people have made to Girls With Wings. The Dreams Take Flight Dreams Take Flight Scholarship is designed to introduce the world of aviation to someone who would benefit from experiencing the joy of flight. The award of this scholarship is intended to fund introductory flight training to encourage achievement of a stated goal, whether in aviation or in another field of study. There is no prerequisite flight training required for this scholarship, just enthusiasm and the desire to learn. The Dreams Take Flight Scholarship is an award in the amount of $500.00. Read more about our scholarship program.

From Yeni:

Since my last essay I finally had the opportunity to go flying. My instructor and I began with a discussion of VFR Airspace requirements. The preflight inspection was completed followed by a normal engine start and check list procedures. I wrote down the ATIS and obtained a taxi clearance, and then made a normal take-off. My instructor and I proceeded to the practice area where we did medium bank turns, climbs and descents, several s-turns across a road, then proceeded to an uncontrolled airport where we did a touch and go landing and then returned to KILG. 
 
As the flight progressed I found myself becoming more and more comfortable in the airplane, both with all of the flight maneuvers as well as basic navigational skills. I had the opportunity to learn a lot about airport operations and radio communication phraseology. 

Throughout the time since my last essay I'm continuing to study for the written exam, placing a lot of emphasis on weather and regulations. 

My recent experiences have only served to increase my desire to pursue a career in aviation. I have enjoyed myself immensely and look forward to completing my private pilot license. I never dreamt about flying when I was growing up, but I have come to learn that when I fly it seems to change my entire prospective of what I want to do in my life. Even though learning to fly is a challenge, one of my objectives is to make myself a role model to other women who would like to have a career in aviation. I know that nothing is impossible to accomplish when you have a clear objective and a passion to accomplish it. 

Once again, I want to thank the Girls with Wings for opening a door to allow me to start my flying lessons. I am determine to continue to look for more opportunities to accomplish my final goal in aviation, that of becoming a commercial pilot. 

Congratulations, Yeni, for getting back up in the air. It sounds like you are making great progress. Never give up and always keep us posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment