Wednesday, January 01, 2014
The mission of Girls With Wings, Inc., is to use women in aviation as role models to inspire girls to reach their full potential. By doing so, we also intend to grow the pilot population. So I asked the question on the GWW Facebook Page,
Sometimes it's hard to imagine what others think of GWW. I know what it means to me! So I asked: Please share with me what Girls With Wings has meant to you, and what you think it means to others.
From our GWW Facebook Group:
From our GWW Facebook Group:
- Lynda Meeks Yes, I definitely think we have the community part down People keep asking me how many pilots we've made or dreams we've inspired. How does one track that? I'm hoping to get others to speak up!
- Amber Phillips Hopefully! I've found out recently I'm trying to cram too much in.. I just can't wait to help with this more! As odd as it sounds, winter is busy for me, personally. Hope the other ladies can give some encouraging words. It's always fun to hear their stories too
- Dave F Ryan To me Lynda, it is an open doorway to share and and direct women to, who are interested in flying, though lack the pathways to go further than a desire to be up there while down here looking up there.
- Lynda Meeks Thank you all for contributing! It does mean a lot to me. I spend a LOT of time on the internet trying to maintain all of these connections, but it warms my heart to see the GWW community grow!
- Amy Blechman Girls with wings means inspiration , hope , and peace of mind because it provides us with living examples of women who go after their dreams and help uplift and motivate each other to achieve what they dream about ..peace of mind because it provides us with living examples of women who go after their dreams and help uplift and motivate each other to achieve what they dream about .. That to me is peace of mind ... To know that it can be done ... That someone like me can do it no matter how long it takes and what obstacles I will encounter along the way .. I've seen it with my own eyes ! Thank you Lynda !
- Samantha Cerchero To me it means instilling passion and focus in a fast-moving, distracting world. It means a community of strong and wonderful girls and women, all coming together to support and nurture a love of aviation
- Gecyca Martin I think this page posts a lot of great aviation info/articles/photos. While Mostly geared towards younger girls- I enjoy it. I am in my mid twenties and planing to attend flight school in a couple of yrs. I "liked" the page, because I was looking for aviation info/inspiration. I am fascinated by aviation, and cannot wait to learn to fly!
- Olivia Rose Donahue It means that there are people out there willing and wanting to help you achieve your goals! It's wonderful to know there are still such good and well meaning people out there. My future career has always been my main material focus in life and it means everything to me when someone tries to help me to achieve it. My career, which is flying as I have decided, will be more than a job to me but a source of happiness and inner contentment to me. I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't satisfied in my everyday job. Thank you soooo much to you who try to make our dreams possible; you are the greatest and are my friends for life!Best Wishes to all of you,Lynda Meeks
Another question that I am often asked (the first being what has GWW been able to do?), is what can GWW accomplish? Besides our 2014 Spring Scholarship Program? So I asked the question on the GWW Facebook Page (as nothing ever gets done alone),
What are your plans to grow the pilot population in 2014?
Benet Wilson Get my PPL and add to the numbers!! Visit her website.
- Blair Carruthers 1. Interest free start loans to working students (or parents) so every applicant can start flight training, regardless of income level. Ask for details.
2. Subsidised ab initio flight training on the A320 Jet simulator (flyajet sim) at Bankstown Sydney for prospective jet pilots including Intro flight followed by on-going weekly simulator flight training at music lesson prices. A320 ground school to learn A320 systems and avionics and multi crew dynamics. Suitable for applicants from primary school age up (depending on aptitude).
3. Cost share flights on private aircraft with an IFR rated pilot for Flyajet sim students who want to try real flight (available to all).
4. Free tours of training schools at Bankstown, including light sport, helo, ppl and professional flight schools and aircraft familiarisation.
5. Light sport licence training from age 14 (full licence at 15) at Bankstown.
6. Subsidised Inspirational flights to inspire new aviators, open to all ages. (Youngest observer passenger was 6 y.o). Occasionally free seats available.
7. To licensed pilots a free program to fly aircraft around the world and to have access to advanced high speed recreational aircraft for sale, hire or training. See www.love4aviation.com
As a sport pilot I am committed to promoting aviation everywhere and to the early flight training model for commercial and recreational pilot candidates alike.
- From Twitter:
Ron Klutts @Captain_Ron: "I have 2 students about to take check rides, a third in progress to solo, and 2 more students ready to start."So become one or make one!May I suggest to everyone that you take others flying whenever possible. Don't fly alone unless you have to!!Visit the Girls With Wings Group on Facebook to add your suggestions.