Friday, May 30, 2014

An update from Brittany, GWW Dreams Take Flight Scholarship Winner!

This is the first journal entry provided to us by Brittany Danko, who was selected for a Dreams Take Flight Scholarship from Girls With Wings. The Girls With Wings 2014 Scholarship Program includes the Dreams Take Flight Scholarship was designed to introduce the world of aviation to someone who would benefit from experiencing the joy of flight. This scholarship is intended to fund introductory flight training to encourage achievement of a stated goal, whether in aviation or in another field of study.  There is no prerequisite flight training required for this scholarship, just enthusiasm and the desire to learn.  The Dreams Take Flight Scholarship is in the amount of $500.00, funded by the generous donations from supporters of Girls With Wings, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Brittany's application essay is published here

This is a quick journal update from Brittany Danko. 

First, again let me say, I am very grateful to have been awarded the Girls Take Flight Scholarship. 

On Thursday, April 10th, I was able to take my first flight lesson thanks to the Aviation program at Prosser Technology center. Since that time, I have been flying several times a week at the Clark County airport. 

And they aren't lying, once you get bitten by the aviation bug, there is no turning back! Flying has just been one of the most fantastic experiences to me. Now, I have finished with the hours provided to me by Prosser and am about to start being able to utilize the scholarship money awarded by Girls With Wings! 

The scholarship money will kick in just as I am coming up on my solo in the next couple weeks and I couldn't be more excited. It is rather apropos that I will solo with the help of Girls With Wings! This organization really is about empowering women in the field of Aviation and I have never felt more empowered in my life than when I sit in the seat of a Cessna and take flight! 

My instructor and I were talking and he said to me, "I am just so proud of you, not only for being 17 and working so hard, but for being a girl in this industry." It was a prideful moment and I realized that I wouldn't want it any other way. I have just been so entirely blessed with this entire process and I could not be any more grateful for this scholarship.

Essays about flight training from the other awardees will be published here as they are received

No comments:

Post a Comment